Optical Fibre Splicing - Telstra Accredited (Supports NBN Fibre Network Project) 5 Days
- Course Code
- Course Type
- Short Course; Accredited Course
- Course Level
- Skills Building
- Unit Code
- ICTCBL2065A - Splice and terminate optical fibre cable for carriers and service providers (Incorporates ICTCBL3010A)
- Course Location
- Course Duration
Full Time: 5 days
- Course Cost
- Study Modes
- Full time
- 8.00am - 4.00pm
Phone: (03) 9251 3000
Fax: 1300 094 661 (att: Chadstone)
Post: PO Box 3279, GMC 3841
This course provides training for the telecommunications carrier industry where subcontract installers are required to carry out testing, commissioning and fault finding on singlemode optical fibre/cables. This training course also meets the training requirements for all other carrier providers.
The course primarily focuses on the installation practices of testing/commissioning and fault finding on Telstra’s optical fibre cable core/access network infrastructures. The course consists of:
- Optical fibre principles and characteristics
- Optical fibre/cable characteristics and specifications
- Optical fibre devices (lasers, LEDs and detectors)
- Occupational Health and Safety issues
- Optical fibre cable terminations
- Rack/subracks, closures, wall mounts
- Optical fibre fusion splicing
- Testing and commissioning of optical fibre links
- Labelling and formatting of test results
- Fault finding techniques and devices
Qualifications And RecognitionUpon completion of this course, students will be issued with a Statement of Attainment.
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)Many GippsTAFE courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
Employment ProspectsPotential optical fibre work within NBN project.
- No entry requirement for this course, however it is recommended that participants have ICTCBL2136A and ICTCBL2137A (Open Registration Licence)
- ICTCBL3010A* – Must meet pre-requisites in order to register this Unit as an Endorsement to ACMA Cabling Licence with Cabling Registrar.
*All customer cabling work in the telecommunications, fire, security and data industries must be performed by a registered cabler. All cablers are required to register with an Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) – accredited registrar. (See pre-requisites).
- ICTCBL2137A – Install, maintain and modify customer premises communication cabling – ACMA open rule
How To ApplyDirect to Institute
AssessmentAssessment is competency-based for each unit. It includes:
- Practical assessment (observation/demonstration) in a simulated environment
- Written assessments
- RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) for suitable applicants
Opportunities For Further Study
These units are part of the Certificate III in Telecommunications (Cabling)
Can prospective students enrol in individual units?Yes.
|Chadstone||8.00am-4.00pm||1-5 July||Optical Fibre-5days-1-5 Jul|
|Chadstone||8.00am-4.00pm||5-9 August||Optical Fibre-5days-5-9 Aug|
|Chadstone||8.00am-4.00pm||2-6 September||Optical Fibre-5days-2-6 Sep|
|Chadstone||8.00am-4.00pm||30 September - 4 October||Optical Fibre-5days-30Sep-4Oct|
|Chadstone||8.00am-4.00pm||11-15 November||Optical Fibre-5days-11-15 Nov|