Skills Recognition (RPL)
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
What is Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)?
Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) enables us to formally acknowledge your skills and knowledge acquired outside of the formal education and training system.
This includes competencies you may have gained through:
- Previous study, including courses at school, through adult education classes or training programs at work
- Work experience, including both work that is paid and unpaid
- Life experience, such as leisure pursuits or voluntary work
If RPL is granted, you may be exempt from select competencies or modules, which could shorten the length of your course.
As an alternative, informal learning pathway, RPL is different from the Credit Transfer pathway that is based on the student's formal, recognised and certified learning. In Credit Transfer, an assessment is made on the extent to which the original course or subject the student undertook is equivalent to subjects, units, modules or competencies or entry requirements in the course they are now undertaking.
Assessment for RPL
To demonstrate what knowledge and abilities you have, you will need to provide evidence you can competently meet the learning outcomes of your qualification.
This evidence could include:
- A face-to-face interview
- A practical skills test or workplace assessment
- A portfolio of supporting evidence which may include:
- Documents, photos, audio or video that and demonstrate your ability to perform particular skills
- Previous qualifications
- Letters from employers, or position descriptions that identify the skills you have built up over time
Unsuccessful RPL Applications
If your application is not successful, you will be provided with the opportunity to provide more evidence to overcome these gaps or a recommendation of attending classes in the relevant area of study.
In the event an applicant is not satisfied with the RPL decision, there is an appeal process, Assessment Review and Appeals (including VET Fee Help) procedure that can be accessed.
Cost of RPL Assessment
For information regarding cost of RPL assessment please refer to our Fees and Refunds page.